Monday, October 27, 2008

School Board Votes To Expand Crossroads Conference

By a 5-1 vote, the Dorchester Board of Education has voted to allow Osceola and Shelby Public Schools to join the Crossroads Conference.

The vote highlighted the Oct. 13 school board meeting. Board members Kahle, Hansen, Bors, Pracheil and Havlat voted to extend an invitation to Osceola and Shelby to join the CRC. Board member Boller cast the lone vote of opposition, according to the meeting minutes.

In other school matters, Dorchester Principal Kubicek reported that student test scores indicate "math computation is an area that needs to be improved." The causes of this concern were discussed along with future curriculum structure.

The board was informed that formal teacher evaluations have begun this month.

During the meeting's committee reports, the Building and Grounds Committee discussed several items related to the new school, including: a plan on securing a new electronic scoreboard for the multi-purpose gym; the multipurpose gym's sound system; concern with wet spots in the new wrestling room; parking lot drainage; acoustics in the band room/stage area; a proposed bell monument; basketball goals for playground; condition of the Industrial Tech building; bids for additional lighting on south side of school; and the establishment of a master maintenance schedule.

By unanimous consent, the school board approved the October expenditures for the General Fund and Special Building Fund.

The next meeting of the school board will take place Monday, Nov. 10, at 7:30 p.m.

7 comments:

  1. More competition in the conference will draw more statewide respect for the schools in the conference. Why wouldn't we want to add those schools?
    I had also heard the Friend wanted back into CRC too...wonder what happened with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like for 4.0 million we wouldnt have all these problems in a new school.

    I hope we can solve them without it costing a lot more money.

    I am leaving for the my winter home in Texas. I will leave my spot to Cynical richard. We think a lot alike.

    Have a good day
    Taxed Too Much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taxed Too Much must not be living too bad of a life if he can afford to go to Texas during the winter. Must be nice to have "two" homes and still complain how much he has to contribute to taxes. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm and I wonder where taxed too much's vehicle is registered?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry......one more comment before i leave.

    You people kill me.

    I am retired, worked my butt of all my life. Didnt sit on my *** and didnt spend all my money on beer and cigarettes.

    Have a good day , and a good winter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trust me taxed too much...you must have made a lot of money in your years to be able to go to Texas every winter. My husband and I both work full time jobs and farm on the side. We do NOT sit on our *** or spend our money on beer and cigarettes. Bet you get more out of your social security then you put in. I wish I could say that when I retire. Have a great winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just spoke with a Texan, and she said you Yankees are ruining Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.