Thursday, June 13, 2019

NEWS ROUND-UP: Alums, Job Openings, And Business News


DHS Alum Will Play Key Role with Architecture Firm: The Lincoln newspaper reports that DHS alumna Chandra Tuttle Wondercheck has been chosen to help lead HDR, a global architecture, engineering and consulting firm. Wondercheck will serve as the studio leader for the firm’s Lincoln architecture practice. Wondercheck boasts more than 15 years of experience providing project management, interior design, furniture and artwork selection services and expertise.

Lindsey Fritz Joining Donna's Hair Creations: We are told that Lindsey Fritz will be working at Dorchester's main street hair salon, Donna's Hair Creations, on Wednesdays. For appointments, call 402-946-2068.

Area Farmers Waaaaaay Behind on Planting: Extension educator Randy Pryor tells the Wilber paper that only about 50% of planting in the Saline County area has been completed. And it's the middle of June! Still, Pryor said "we’re in better shape than some areas in Nebraska and the Midwest." To have crops covered by insurance, farmers need to have them planted by tomorrow, June 14, or take a 1% penalty for each day thereafter.

Dorchester Flag Retirement Ceremony Moving to Wilber This Year: For years, the Dorchester American Legion hosted the annual Flag Day flag retirement ceremony. That event is headed to Wilber this year. Tomorrow, June 14, the Wilber American Legion Post 101 will hold its first flag retirement ceremony at 6 p.m. in Legion Park. “For the longest time, the Dorchester Legion Post has done this. We are taking this over from them,” said Dave Packer, who served as Post 101 Commander until June 12.

Job Openings at Farmers Cooperative: There are current openings at Farmers Cooperative and its Dorchester facility, as well as nearby communities. If interested, click here

Former Dorchester Resident Shares Childhood Memories: The Times recently received the following e-mail from former Dorchester resident Maxine Ferris Vanek, who wanted to share some of her childhood memories from our community. Maxine wrote us the following:

I drove through Dorchester in March. It brought back a lot of memories. My family lived there back in the early '60s. We lived in four different houses, but my favorite one was the big house across from the park. I located one of the other houses we lived in, also. I'm sure the other two are now gone -- I wish I remembered the addresses, but since I was only in elementary school at the time, I was more concerned about playing.
I remember taking bike rides out of town with friends.  We would bring a lunch with, sit under a bridge and eat. Kids nowadays don't get that chance to be free as birds and spread their wings. 
My father (Melvern Ferris) was a cop -- not sure if he was one the whole time we lived there, though. Anyway, I remember one night in Dorchester when a blizzard struck, and this guy who drove a Mayflower semi stayed with us overnight. I remember that well because I had to give him my room, and I slept with my sister. ... My older sister Margaret graduated in Dorchester, I think it was 1965. We moved to Milford when I finished sixth grade. 
Sometimes I wonder if we stayed, what my life would have been like. I lost my father in 1970, and he left behind two sons -- 2 and 4 years old.  (He wanted boys, but had four girls before that -- so that left Mom by herself raising them.)... 
I live out of state now. I’m in Minnesota, I came back to Dorchester for my sisters 60th birthday in Milford. It seems when you get older, you cherish your childhood more. I also remember that my one sister and I would walk across town to get some cream for Mom so we could make our favorite strawberry dessert. Thanks again.
Maxine Ferris Vanek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.