Monday, May 14, 2018

Dorchester's Makenna Bird Gets Spotlight In Lincoln Newspaper


Photo by Lincoln Journal Star
The Lincoln Journal Star this past weekend shined a bright spotlight on new Dorchester graduate Makenna Bird.

The story points out that Bird was a standout volleyball and basketball player at Dorchester with a 4.0 GPA.

The following are excerpts from the Journal Star's article:

Graduation was this weekend, and it was (Makenna) Bird, the valedictorian, delivering the class' farewell speech. It was a fitting finish for Bird, who accomplished so much in four years.

"I think when I was younger I always looked up to girls that I just saw with a lot success in high school, and I said, 'Oh, I want to be that person,'" said Bird, who graduated with a 4.0 grade-point average and ranked No. 1 in her class. "I wanted to be in the yearbook on more than one page, and I wanted to make a difference in my school and realize when I leave, to actually make a mark."

Bird left her mark by getting involved. Very involved.

Bird was a standout on the volleyball and basketball courts, but her hand prints could be seen all over school. Bird said she was involved in 12 clubs or groups at school, including Future Business Leaders of America, student council, quiz bowl, One Act, among others. She was student council president, FBLA president and homecoming queen.

Why so many clubs? For Bird, it's important to keep an open mind.

"I like to expand my horizons," said Bird, who will attend Doane next fall. "When I started my freshman year, I kind of wanted to try everything and I ended up liking a lot of it, so I just stayed in it."

Bird's expanded interest levels and curiosities also spilled into the classroom. Just this year, she took government, English, journalism, band, art, sociology, pre-calculus, anatomy and physiology.

For Bird, academic success breeds success in sports.

"Keeping my mind working, especially practicing that growing up, working my mind in different ways in academics, and then I get on the basketball court, and I can think about all the different ways to do something or where to be at (on the court)," Bird said.

Bird credits her academic and athletic success to her family, teachers, coaches and teammates.

"They have encouraged me in everything I do and have been right by my side through it all, and I can't thank them enough for it," she said.

1 comment:

  1. This Longhorn is one great example for younger Longhorns to follow. You are the bar Makenna, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.