This is one of Dorchester's biggest weekends of the year. The village will be busting with activity. Here's a look at some of this weekend's events:
- Alumni Basketball Tourney: The annual three-day DHS Alumni Basketball Tournament is celebrating its 21st anniversary this year. A tradition that started in March 1995 under then coach Mark Wragge and then Scott Pohl, the tournament is still going strong. We've heard that at least eight or nine teams will be competing on the hardwood this year -- enough to ensure some fierce competition and friendly rivalries. Games start tonight (Friday) at 6 p.m. at the DHS gym and will run until the championship at mid-afternoon on Sunday.
- Community Foundation Dinner On Saturday Night: The annual Dorchester Community Foundation's Spring Steak and Hamburger Feed will be held at the Dorchester Community Hall and Legion Hall Saturday night from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. Diners can choose a 12 oz. rib eye, along with salad, potato or chips, bread, drink and dessert. Or choose the hamburger meal, which includes all the aforementioned side dishes. This event has been one of the most popular in Dorchester for the past seven years. Proceeds from the feed will go to help pay for Foundation projects. (By the way, the Foundation is currently raising funds to erect a much needed cemetery directory for the Village of Dorchester’s cemetery. If you would like to purchase an engraved brick to have placed on the Directory on behalf of your family or loved one, please complete the brick sponsorship form no later than June 15, 2016. The form can be found on the Foundation's Facebook page or by clicking here.)
- City Slickers All Weekend Long: We've heard that City Slickers will be running food and drink specials all weekend long, just as Joe's Place and Ben's Iron Grill did in previous years. The weekend will be a perfect opportunity for alumni and their friends and family to see all the recent renovations made inside and outside their favorite pub.
- Soup And Sandwiches At UMC: On Sunday, March 20, at the Dorchester Methodist Church, the UMC ladies will host their annual soup and sandwich luncheon. This gathering always draws quite a crowd, so get there plenty early. Doors will open at 11 a.m. and food will be served up until 1 p.m. Whether you fancy chili, clam chowder, chicken noodle or liver dumpling soup, you'll be sure to find it. Also served will be sandwiches, relishes and some of Nebraska's very best deserts. There is no charge for the event -- just a free-will offering.
- Saline Center Consignment Sale: The huge Saline Center Consignment Sale is also this Sunday, March 20, near Dorchester on Highway 15. It starts at 9:30 a.m.