Thursday, November 26, 2009

Taking Time To Give Thanks

Every now and again, the Times receives an e-mail that we feel compelled to share with the all of our readers. Last year, we received the following message, reprinted here with the permission of the author. Happy Thanksgiving from the Times' staff.

Sweet home Dorchester! Oh sweet Nebraska! On thisThanksgiving we have so many thing to be grateful for.

You never really know how amazing something, or someplace,or someone is when you don't have it or them. I lived out of state for several years and during that time I reminded myself almost daily of the things Imissed back home and am thankful for.

On this Thanksgiving, I will once again take time to give thanks for those things that make life worth living. They are...

1.) The fall harvest
2.) My small town and the feeling of community
3.) A Main Street I can walk with no noise, litter or fear of violence
4.) Mom & pop businesses & no big box stores
5.) Dorchester sports
6.) Small town chatter, even the gossip
7.) Hunters, farmers and our community elders (the producers and providers)
8.) Not being honked at in your car when you don't run a (the one and only) red light
9.) The smell of a wood burning stove or fireplace
10.) Pumpkin pie, homemade jelly and all the great local baking

This is a good start. Oh yes, I am also thankful for my great-grand parents who came to Dorchester to start their families. It is because of them that Dorchester is my home.

Sincerely,

Name Withheld
Mother, Wife and Farmer

2 comments:

  1. I am very thankful that my Bohemian ancestors took it upon themselves to leave the tyranny of the Austrian Hapsburgs, and come to the United States so that they could have some control over their own destinies with God's blessing. My dad's side came from persecuted Hussite believers, and my mom's side came over for land to work, and religious liberty as well.

    My cousins who stayed over there, had to endure many more years of Austrian persecution and near slavery. Then they had to endure the occupations of the Nazi's and the Soviet Communists. Today, for a while they are free. With what is going on in Washington DC these days, I hope my grandchildren can have the same blessings of freedom FROM government that my ancestors had, but I am worried.

    Maybe we should turn to that Providence that saw the American Revolution through to victory over the British.

    Second Chronicles 7:14

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if the author has no regrets about moving back to Dorchester.

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.