Monday, March 9, 2015

Common Sense On Addressing Negligent Property Owners

Every community has 'em -- those property owners who take absolutely no pride in their home or themselves; property owners who aren't considerate of those who live around them and nearby.  Every town has that small percentage of homes that make Sanford and Son's yard look exceptionally tidy.

A few years ago, the Village of Dorchester utilized the Southeast Development District to crackdown on blighted properties.  This action seemed to help and motivated several property owners to clean up their act.

Personally, we think the village action was long overdue.  While every property owner has certain rights, he/she doesn't have the right to drag down your home's value or create a health hazard.  With all the properties on the market today, why would someone want to deal with messy neighbors when they could get a house in a neighborhood without the eyesores? That is a question that all small communities in Nebraska must ask.

Recently, eHow -- the online self-help site -- published a list of ways to get negligent property owners to own up to their responsibilities, without resorting to legal action or waiting for your city officials to impose.  Their suggestions:

1.) Start with a direct approach. If the owner is living on the property, you can approach the owner and voice your concerns in a calm manner. If the owner does not live on the property, try your best to make contact with the person over the phone about the issue.

2.) Ensure that the person really is the property owner. If the person on the property is actually just a tenant, you have another step before going to authorities. Find out who is renting out the property and contact that person. You can do this through your county's property tax assessor's office. Once you have this information, send a letter to the landlord, including pictures of the negligence for added effect.

3.) Complain to the lender of the property if it is in a foreclosed state. Do not settle for a customer service representative on this one. Make sure you speak with management, and go all the way up to the chief executive officer if that is what it takes. If this isn't giving you fast enough results, go to your state's governmental website and find the state mortgage regulator. Contact the regulator.

4.) Contact your local government officials. Find the number for your local public health department and call the office to explain what is going on. Make sure to take note of all sanitation and safety issues involving the property.

5.)  If you must contact a lawyer, a real estate attorney would be best. You may be able to sue the owner of the property. Remember that these cases can drag on and be expensive, so this step should only be used as a last resort.

See the full eHow article here.

1 comment:

  1. I live in Colorado and come to Dorchester every New Years to see family and the town is worse now then it was 55 years ago. I went to school there town was booming. I drove through town and there were 6 trashy houses So please keep working to clean up town.


Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.