Last month, we reported that the Dorchester Little League Baseball program had raised $655 for new equipment in just one week as baseball players in grades 5 through 8 sold raffle tickets to the Nebraska vs. Illinois football game.
The tickets were donated to the Dorchester baseball program by Pepsi-Cola Bottling of Lincoln.
This week, the Times received an e-mail detailing the equipment purchases that were made due to the fund raising efforts of the players. The program has acquired:
- A dozen "gently used" bats from Play-It-Again Sports for all three Dorchester baseball leagues (Pee-Wee, American, National);
- Two dozen new game balls;
- Three dozen practice balls;
- A dozen new balls for the pitching machine;
- A "bounce-back" for pitching practice;
- Four new batting helmets;
- Replacement headgear for catchers; and
- New tape for the handles on some of the older bats.
The information sent to the Times indicates that the baseball program is looking for new coaches for all three leagues for 2015. Any interested candidates should contact the Dorchester Baseball/Softball Parents Committee by contacting committee members Tricia Novak, Toni Ladely, Megan Weber or Lisa Wells.