Monday, August 31, 2009

Dorchester Resident Shares State Fair Memories

More than a century of tradition will soon end as Lincoln hosts its final Nebraska State Fair. In the Aug. 30 edition of the Lincoln Journal Star, area readers shared their memories of state fairs past -- including Dorchester's Rev. Roger Wolfe. In the article, Rev. Wolfe recalls when he won first place in the Nebraska State Fair's 1937 baby contest, as well as his recollections of the horse exhibits and the trips via his grandpa's Whippet automobile. Wolfe writes:

"I can remember even though I was only a little over two, I was given 1st Place in the Baby Contest as The Grand Champion Rural Child in 1937. (Still have the cup, ribbons, article from the Lincoln paper.) Horses being a big part of farming back then, I remember seeing the many horses in the horse exhibits. I rode to the State Fair in my Grandpa Pavlish's 1929 Whippet automobile. I showed animals there from 4-H as a teen. Have been in many parades with the American Legion."

To see the article and the Rev. Wolfe's commentary, click here.

7 comments:

  1. That's my papa! I never quite messured up to Grand Champion Status :-)

    JR Wolfe

    PS Now you know what JR stands for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought Roger was born with whiskers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those whiskers are his impersonation of US Grant.

    His great grandpa William H. Burgess had a nice set of whiskers at one point too!

    Na Shledanou

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait...let me get this straight. Roger is not 100% Czech?
    What is the history of William H. Burgess?

    By the way, have you read Grant's memoirs? They have been praised by everyone from Mark Twain to Gertrude Stein. (Quite a pair!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Vested Czech,

    Dad's paternal side is 100% Czech. On the maternal side, Great grandpa Pavlish married Rosalie Burgess the daughter of William Burgess. So dad is 3/4 Czech! English gentleman farmer William and Annie Burgess came to Saline County in 1872 (From Britan) and Rosalie was born here the same year.

    Now I am 7/8 Czech. Of my great grandparents 7 are Czech.

    As for US Grant, dad represents the Union side of the family, I on the other hand.......that is another story! :-)Grant is definately one of my dad's heros. I have a copy of Grant's Memoirs.

    As a student of the WBTS, I have read so much about most of the leadership of both sides, that my brain is overloaded with what many would call useless information. My library rivals most town libraries. I also was a reenactor for over a decade. I count generals Thomas Jackson, and RE Lee as the greatest generals, this side of Jan Zizka! Well, you can throw in George Washington as well!

    Na Shledanou

    JR

    PS Someday you need to tell me who you are! My apologies to the Times staff for making this my own blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know the true story behind the whiskers!

    JR, your lineage is very similar to mine.

    One day the vest that shields my identity will be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger, you and I were in the same grade at Dorchester High, and I had no idea that you were the Grand Champion! I doubt the rest of the class knew either. Please accept my sincere, although rather late, congratulations!! Reading about one of my DHS classmates brings back many memories of the "Good Old Days".

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.