Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008: A Reminder To Count Your Blessings

Every now and again, the Times receives an e-mail that we feel compelled to share with the rest of our readers. Today, we received such a note. With the permission of the author, the letter is reprinted below.

This message is especially relevant at a time when the outside world presents so much uncertainty and fear. We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did, and that it will serve as a reminder to count your blessings -- everyday.

Happy Thanksgiving.

"Sweet home Dorchester! Oh sweet Nebraska! On this
Thanksgiving we have so many thing to be grateful for.

"You never really know how amazing something, or someplace,
or someone is when you don't have it or them. I lived out of state for several
years and during that time I reminded myself almost daily of the things I
missed back home and am thankful for.

"On this Thanksgiving, I will once again take time to give
thanks for those things that make life worth living. They are...

1.) The fall harvest
2.) My small town and the feeling of community
3.) A Main Street I can walk with no noise, litter or fear of violence
4.) Mom & pop businesses & no big box stores
5.) Dorchester sports
6.) Small town chatter, even the gossip
7.) Hunters, farmers and our community elders
8.) Not being honked at in your car when you don't run a red light
9.) The smell of a wood burning stove or fireplace
10.) Pumpkin pie, homemade jelly and all the great local baking

"This is a good start. Oh yes, I am also thankful for my
great-grand parents who came to Dorchester to start their
families. It is because of them Dorchester and Nebraska is my
home."

Sincerely,

-Name Withheld
Mother, wife and farmer

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to my home town of Dorchester! And what a blessing to read positive comments for once.
    We all have many things to be thankful for. Many thanks to the writer of this wonderful letter, it gives us all an opportunity to ponder the good things in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being thankful is overrated. So is school psychology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see someone still takes time to remember how blessed we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with my friend Dorothy Parker.

    This reminds me of my favorite philosopher, Alice Roosevelt. (Daughter of Theodore Roosevelt.)

    "If you can't say something good about someone, sit right here by me."

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.