Friday, August 8, 2008

Nerud Field Facility Set For Late Fall Construction

Sources have told the Times that the new sports activity facility at Nerud Field will begin to take shape in late fall, following the last home DHS football game.

The facility will be a 24’ by 40’ building that will include new restrooms and a covered eating area with picnic tables.

As reported by a reader last month, Dorchester citizen Bill Velder is heading the project, a joint venture between the school and village.

Donations are being accepted at the First State Bank, village office, school office and Dorchester Grocery. Those who wish to volunteer their labor or donate cash should call Bill Velder at (402) 946-2491.

2 comments:

  1. From 1971 through 1973, I worked in the concession stand, every summer, for the Nerud's. Back in the days when pop was poured from quart bottles, and pop corn was popped fresh every night. It is one of my fondest memories of Dorchester, as I was able to interact with not only my peers, but with most of Dorchester's citizenry. I also, along with Mrs. Nerud, was an ambassador for Dorchester, serving people from other communities who supported their ball teams.

    For this unique opportunity, I was paid $2.00 a NIGHT. Not an hour, a night. And I was glad to get it.

    I will miss the old shack, but I am sure the new facility will glean new memories, just as fond, and learning experiences, just as well learned.

    It is nice that Dorhcester is still willing to devote resources to the youth of the community!

    JR Wolfe
    York

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's going on with all the FOR SALE signs along the spur on the west edge of town? I also notice a FOR SALE sign at the bar?

    ReplyDelete

Village Dweller checks all reader comments to determine if they are appropriate for print.